Modern times have seen mankind getting increasingly dependent on drugs in terms of drug abuse and equally for gaining fitness or boosting one’s athleticism. The use of steroids and testosterone injections are two examples out of a long and ever increasing list of drugs. Needless to say muddling with the natural functioning and metabolism of the body provided by the Almighty will have adverse effects, and fatal ones at that. We focus here on the side effects of testosterone injections, testosterone being a basic sex hormone produced primarily in male testicles.
Now the first question that would come to our mind is – why the need for testosterone injections when it is already produced in our body? The answer to this is because some people are deficient of this hormone which leads to delayed puberty, impotence, or other hormonal imbalances. The intention behind the administration of the drug in this case is noble. However, testosterone being a steroid hormone is also abused in order to enhance stamina and masculinity.
Now testosterone is one such hormone, the administration of which, for medical reasons or otherwise, will have adverse side effects on the body. Testosterone injections side effects aren’t as mild or benign as the effects of everyday antibiotics and medicines. The side effects range from mild to severe, gradually increasing in intensity.
Certain side effects of testosterone injections:
Testosterone Injections Side Effects in Men:
- There is a sudden and rapid increase in weight including swelling in certain areas.
- Prolonged and increased erection of penis.
- Men also encounter pain in the bones and suffer from memory loss accompanied by nausea and giddiness.
- The above symptoms are also accompanied by a loss in appetite, stomach pain and jaundice.
Testosterone Injections Side Effects in Women:
- Acne or pimples;
- Women also encounter change in their menstrual patterns.
- Excessive growth of hair in certain body parts such as the chin or chest.
- Baldness as often seen in men.
- Enlargement of the clitoris.
- A drastic change in sexual libido.
Apart from the above mentioned points, side effects of testosterone injections also include hampering of certain body systems in bulk. These are again listed below:
This include hypertension and edema with or without the occurrence of heart failure.
This include retention of certain important excretory ions and a decrease in the excretion of calcium.
This include a life threatening type of hepatitis known as hepatitis peliosis and other hepatic abnormalities like hepatic neoplasms.
Genitourinary side effects include oligospermia (low concentration of sperms in semen) and decreased ejaculatory volume. Elderly male patients often encounter Urinary tract blockage due to Swelling of the prostrate area.
This includes resistance against linear bone growth by closure of the epiphyseal growth centers.
This includes alteration in certain clotting factors and polycythemia due to increased red cell production along with a mild chance of anemia.
Oncologic side effects include carcinoma of the prostate and hepatocellular carcinomas.
The above mentioned side effects of testosterone injections may just be the tip of the iceberg, with scientists getting evidence of more varied and fatal side effects through further research.
Like everything else in the world the administration of such drugs has its pros and cons. Yes, people need it to lead better lives but at what cost? The side effects of testosterone injections may defeat the very purpose of a better life through its effects. Hence decisions on this regard shouldn’t be hasty but well thought and planned. And one would agree that creating awareness, especially among the youth, is the need of the hour.
- testosterone injections
- testosterone shots
- testosterone injections for women
- testosterone injections side effects
- testosterone injection side effects
- side effects of testosterone injections
- side effects of testosterone shots
- testosterone injections in women
- testosterone injections for men pros and cons
- side effects of testosterone injections in men